From: Andrew de Quincey <adq_dvb@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Cc: Stuart Longland <stuartl@××××××××××××××××××.org>, Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Patch for absolute minimal GCC for distcc environment
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 12:18:37
1 On Sunday 03 April 2005 11:35, Stuart Longland wrote:
2 > Andrew de Quincey wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 03 April 2005 03:10, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
4 > >>Andrew de Quincey wrote:
5 > >>>Hi, I hope this is the correct place to send this.
6 > >>>
7 > >>>I have setup distcc in my network. Most of the hosts are i686, but one
8 > >>> of them is x86_64. I wish to distribute tasks to the i686 machines from
9 > >>> the x86_64 machine. This involves installing a cross compiler on the
10 > >>> i686 machines for x86_64 tasks. Crossdev is overkill for this - I don't
11 > >>> actually _need_ glibc and the like on the client machines for a simple
12 > >>> distcc environment. It really adds to the upgrade time when emerge
13 > >>> sync; emerge worlding.
14 > >>
15 > >>crossdev -s1 -t <x86_64 CHOST>
16 > >
17 > > According to the docs, that doesn't compile a c++ compiler:
18 > >
19 > > -s1, --stage1 Build a C compiler (no libc/C++)
20 >
21 > And guess what... no libc... no c++. If you require a C++ compiler,
22 > then might I suggest making a µClibc-based toolchain? µClibc is just a
23 > little smaller than it's GNU cousin, and so shouldn't occupy much space.
24
25 I have it running right now with *no* libc and g++. There is no reason to need
26 a libc, apart from the fact that you cannot confiure g++ to build without
27 patching it. I have just distcc compiled kdlibs with this configuration.
28
29 Have you actually tried the patch? This is precisely what it does - g++ with
30 no libc.
31
32 The files installed with the patch are in the attached file. I could perhaps
33 trim it more - there is no need for the include files either with distcc.

minigcc.txt text/plain