From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr/portage --> /var/portage
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:51:26
1 Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o> writes:
2
3 > [snip]
4
5 > This has been on of those minor complaints I have personally.
6
7 > IMHO we should go with the following as a default:
8
9 > /usr/portage/packages -> /var/cache/packages
10 > /usr/portage -> /usr/share/portage
11
12 I agree packages should go to /var/cache/, but perhaps in a
13 subdirectory in /var/cache/portage, such as
14 /var/cache/portage/packages.
15
16 The portage ebuild tree also qualifies as cache data, however, since it
17 is just a local mirror of the CVS repository (via rsync). Furthermore,
18 as I have previously stated, it is useful to store it on /var because
19 it changes frequently, and thus tends to fragment the filesystem on
20 which it resides.
21
22 Likewise, the distfiles directory is also cache data, and will also
23 lead to fragmentation.
24
25 As far as the argument that there is no reason to want to keep /usr
26 mounted read-only and still update the portage tree, one reason might
27 be that portage is useful for determining if there is something to
28 update, and so someone might want to use portage to determine that, and
29 then only remount /usr as read-write when actually updating. Someone
30 might also want to build packages without installing them.
33 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list