From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 21:41:18
1 On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 16:12:26 -0500
2 "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA256
6 >
7 > On 28/07/17 15:10, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
8 > > Gentoo is as stable as YOU make it!!!!
9 >
10 > And by "YOU", that would be the people writing ebuilds and committing
11 > them without test suites or integration testing of any kind.
12
13 I am not one of those. I am an outsider. A user, outside ebuilder :)
14
15 Having packaged hundreds of Java packages. I do not bother with the
16 tests. They can take just as long if not longer to get running than the
17 package itself. I find best testing is real world usage.
18
19 >The devs
20 > who yell and complain all day about "standards" and "not breaking the
21 > tree" then go and break the tree and violate any standard ever set.
22
23 In most any project, breaking the tree/master is frowned on, but
24 happens. Long as its speedily fixed, all is well.
25
26 > This attitude of "the user is to blame" is the reason I moved Adélie's
27 > upstream elsewhere.
28
29 I did not mean to imply the user was to blame per se. If you buy a car,
30 do not maintain it, and it falls apart. Is it the manufacturers fault?
31
32 Gentoo is not your average "car" or distro. It requires considerable
33 more work. The result can be better and save considerable time. Yes I
34 know I just contradicted myself.
35
36 When I was racing, they said
37 "A fast lap around the track is a slow lap in the cockpit".
38
39 The time saving in Gentoo in part is the rolling aspect, and gained
40 over long periods of time. Upfront you spend considerable time.
41 The more time spent, the smoother and faster things go.
42
43 In part why I tell many not to run it. They are not going to put in
44 the time upfront to ensure it works for them in the long run. If the
45 are not going to put in the time. They likely should not own high end
46 car, that require abnormal maintenance in ways.
47
48 > I am still running Gentoo on a few production
49 > servers, but this whole thread and /especially/ this message has made
50 > me realise I'm probably better off with Fedora until Adélie is ready.
51
52 For many other distros maybe better suited. There are quite many.
53 FYI Enlightenment.org runs everything on Gentoo. They have had
54 discussions of moving away etc. I stay out of it.
55
56 What works for one is not the best for other. Gentoo is not the best
57 distro for everyone. It is really up to each to decide. Gentoo to me is
58 a Development distro. Which should not be seen the same as many others.
61 William L. Thomson Jr.