From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 19:10:17
1 I jumped off udev before I was pushed off...
2 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
3 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB
4
5 While the Gentoo council meeting was looking at patches to udev on an
6 ongoing basis, I was planning for a worst-case scenario where a separate
7 /usr without initramfs is deprecated. Maybe not tomorrow or next month,
8 but somewhere down the road.
9
10 The only thing that will get me back onto udev is a separate fork,
11 like Richard Yao's, where I don't have to worry about Lennart Poettering
12 ramming his ideas into it. Lennart Poettering was very clear about
13 standalone udev being "a dead end". As for your statement that he isn't
14 involved in udev, please read his post
15 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006066.html
16 where I've highlighted some words...
17
18 > Well, ***WE*** intent to continue to make it possible to run udevd
19 > outside of systemd. But that's about it. ***WE*** will not polish
20 > that, or add new features to that or anything.
21 >
22 > OTOH ***WE*** do polish behaviour of udev when used *within* systemd
23 > however, and that's ***OUR*** primary focus.
24 >
25 > And what ***WE*** will certainly not do is compromise the uniform
26 > integration into systemd for some cosmetic improvements for
27 > non-systemd systems.
28 >
29 > (Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in ***OUR*** eyes a dead end,
30 > in case you haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day
31 > when ***WE*** can drop that support entirely.)
32
33 If you think the statement that Lennart is at least unofficially
34 involved in udev is **** don't complain to me, complain to Lennart.
37 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
38 We are apparently better off trying to avoid udev like the plague.
39 Linus Torvalds; 2012/10/03 https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/3/349