From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new guides
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 06:48:06
1 Tom Flavel wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 11:38:28AM +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 > >
5 > > We had a discussion about allowing other languages like perl or tcl/tk
6 > > to be used for ebuild. And decided that
7 > > it makes more sense converting stable parts of python code to c++. Once
8 > > it's all c++ we can make modules
9 > > for other scripting languages. I personal prefer perl as a scripting
10 > > language and did not investigate much
11 > > time in learning python. But as long as daniel is the developer of
12 > > ebuild it is his right do choose his
13 > > preferend language for development I think.
14 > > Our biggest problem is still that we can not spend all our time in
15 > > gentoo development as long as we do not have
16 > > sponsors.
17 > >
18 > > There is a install-gui in development that will use qt first, but it
19 > > will be designed in a manner that the gui
20 > > parts are separated from the configuration backend, so it should be easy
21 > > to write ncurses or gtk frontends too.
22 > > But do not expect that stuff next week. :-)
25 > Hi,
26 >
27 > on a similar note, I remember discussing seperating the backend of portage
28 > from interfaces a while ago, but I think it may have been a bit too early :)
29 >
30 > To recap, the idea was to have a C/C++ program listen on a pipe, then have
31 > interfaces (in the language of your choice) do things like
32 > "echo packagename>/thatpipe" - the backend would listen and install the package.
33 >
34 > This would mean one could churn out gui's using the wigit tool of personal
35 > prefence, for example, with relative ease. A bouns is that as the protocol
36 > would be simple (basically just a package name/version and what to do with it)
37 > the actual behaviour would be consistent across all interfaces.
40 Hi,
41
42 There will be two separate libs, one for portage and one for the
43 configuration system.
44 So that pipe thing whould be a alternative frontend for the portage
45 libs.
46
47 achim~
48