From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 15:05:15
1 On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 11:03:34 -0400 Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 1:47 AM Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Am Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2018, 23:51:17 CEST schrieb Ben Kohler:
5 > > > Hello,
6 > > >
7 > > > I'd like to propose adding USE=udev to our linux profiles (in
8 > > > profiles/default/linux/make.defaults probably). This flag is already
9 > > > enabled on desktop profiles but it also affects quite a few packages
10 > > >
11 > > > Any objections to this idea?
12 > >
13 > > We removed the dedicated "server profiles" and told everyone
14 > > "Don't ever use -*"; if you want to have a sane minimal set of features use
15 > > the base profile as e.g. default/linux/amd64/17.0".
16 > >
17 > > If with USE=udev this profile still fulfills the definition of "sane minimal
18 > > set of features", then it's fine.
19 > >
20 > > (Keep in mind, we have all sorts of people out there running gentoo not only
21 > > on desktops or beefy servers.)
22 > >
23 > > Otherwise it should stay in desktop profile.
24 >
25 > USE="udev" is a sane default for anything that will be running on real
26 > or emulated hardware. It might not be necessary for containers, which
27 > don't do any hardware management.
28
29 I do not agree with you. I have perfectly fine running
30 Gentoo-based servers running without udev and so many other people.
31 udev in desktop profile is just fine with me, on servers it is not
32 needed in many cases.
35 Best regards,
36 Andrew Savchenko