From: Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Embedded
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:06:57
1 On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 19:55, david@×××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 07:42:50PM +0100, Vano D wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 19:02, david@×××××××××.com wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I would be very interested in seeing how you went about doing this. As I
6 > > understand you use a host gentoo installation to "emerge" packages into
7 > > a clean root. What I wonder is what that root contains? Do you start
8 > > with a skeleton? If so what? and finally do you use the bin package
9 > > feature portage provides to carry this out?
12 > Turns out portage creates a few things it seems to need. /var/db/
13 > type of files and a couple others. But nothing massive. I don't even
14 > bother emerging portage to the 'fake root'.
15 >
16 > If there is interest from more than a couple of people. I can clean
17 > up the code a bit and post 'submerge' to the list.
18
19 But do you start from a stagex install on the destination root (which I
20 doubt)? or do you manually create a minimal root system? or is it that
21 you just emerge baselayout and what is needed into the root and let
22 portage create the whole thing for you? (I am speaking of /etc /bin /usr
23 /dev etc. here.)
24
25 And yes, you have my vote for the script.
28 Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com>
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list