From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Request for changes to GLEP 41
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:25:53
1 OK, enough has been said about the current problems that some people
2 have with GLEP 41. I'm not going to belabor that. Instead, I'm going to
3 ask for one of three changes. What I object to most strongly is the notion
4 that we're classifying devs based on their relative worth to the project
5 and assigning them email addresses accordingly. Some folks will remember
6 far back enough to when we had developers, senior developers, etc. and the
7 problems that that caused. I don't want to see the same thing happen here.
8
9 So, could we please make one of the following three changes to GLEP 41:
10
11 * Drop the idea of giving the arch testers an email alias altogether
12
13 I don't see what benefit this provides, to be honest. It's not much of a
14 spiff and if someone is signing up to help with testing just for the
15 email address, they're not here for the right reasons anyway.
16
17 * Change @subdomain.gentoo.org to @gentoo.org.
18
19 If we want to give them a spiff in recognition of their contribution to
20 the project, give them the real thing. We do this today for any number
21 of other non-developer groups, including GWN translators, documentation
22 translators, etc.
23
24 * Create an entirely new domain
25
26 This is my least favorite option, but one that I offer as a way to try
27 and compromise on all of this. I still think this segregates people, but
28 in a much less discriminatory fashion. Additionally, with a new domain,
29 we could open it up to a much broader audience. (offering email
30 addresses to folks who donate in other ways -- financially, hardware,
31 bandwidth, etc.) This may seem largely like a matter of semantics and I
32 guess it is. However, this whole disagreement is largely about
33 perception anyway and a separate domain just seems less disagreeable to
34 me.
35
36 --kurt