From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] JRE support - is it worth it?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 21:59:13
1 I think I should voice my "against" position here as well.
2
3 1. I don't see any clear benefit in dropping the support for jre except for
4 reduced maintaince argument. BTW, aren't jre and jdk ebuilds quite similar in
5 terms of maintaince? If they are, then this might be a minor issue.
6
7 2. In terms of ideology: I have a feeling that being source based is really
8 more technical detail of Gentoo Linux rather than ideological.
9 The ideology behind Gentoo (in my inerpretation, but I saw this voiced by
10 other people as well) states that the choice and possibility for user to
11 adapt his system to specific task is the "defining feature". Thus the move to
12 drop jre support would go directly against this position.
13
14 Just some thoughts anyway :).
15
16 George