From: Holger Brueckner <lists@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge update overwrites /etc
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 06:03:45
1 > I had under /etc was overwritten. Even /etc/passwd! I don't know if it
2 is
3
4 *uppps*
5
6 > being worked on, but I believe the correct behavior would be to have
7 anything
8 > destined for the /etc directory to be installed into a fake etc, say
9 > /tmp/portage/etc, and then use something like FreeBSD's mergemaster to do
10 the
11 > update.
12
13 portage > 1.5.2 has config file support. it won't overwrite files in dirs
14 you can specifiy in
15 /etc/make.globals with the CONFIG_PROTECT variable
16
17 note .. if you're upgrading from an earlier portage .. backup your
18 /etc/make.x files since
19 they'll get overwritten !!
20
21 Holger