From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Requirements for UID/GID management
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 19:33:35
1 On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 12:13:53 -0600
2 "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Having a file that user.eclass would use to map new users/groups to
5 > IDs would be extremely beneficial to me. I was thinking about diving
6 > in to that some time later, after the GLEP 70 work I'm doing, but if
7 > someone else wants to take it - please! That would greatly ease the
8 > pain of not only NFS, but swapping data disks around between different /
9 > .
10 >
11 > Consider, for example, one of my use cases for this: I have a
12 > LibreSSL / that I use solely for testing ebuilds against it, and my
13 > regular / with OpenSSL. I share /home and /srv between these two, but
14 > the apache, nginx, and charybdis users have different UIDs between
15 > them. Therefore I have to chown -R each time I test LibreSSL.
16 >
17 > I could use a different /home and /srv, or make two copies, but it's
18 > much easier for me to test these apps having my entire normal
19 > environment available to me.
20
21 As mentioned in my other post, why are you not using idmapd? It's
22 trivial to set up on top of NFSv4.
25 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
26 Gentoo Linux Developer