From: Balaji Srinivasan <BSrinivasan@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: "'tberman@g.o'" <tberman@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] A nice idea to improve portage
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:14:46
1 I agree too...having this in etc-update would be good.
2 Balaji
3
4 -----Original Message-----
5 From: Todd Berman [mailto:tberman@g.o]
6 Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 1:03 PM
7 To: gentoo-dev@g.o
8 Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] A nice idea to improve portage
12 On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 14:46, John Robinson wrote:
13 > On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 14:16, Balaji Srinivasan wrote:
14 > > A better idea would be if portage wrote those messages to a file and
15 we
16 > > could view it when we wanted. ie. We could have a showEbuildMessages
17 or some
18 > > such program that showed all those messages and allowed you to ack
19 each one.
20 > > I think this would be pretty useful as normally when i am fixing
21 things i
22 > > dont have time to fix all of it in one shot...
23 >
24 > I agree; that would be an excellent idea. I would, however, at least
25 be
26 > in favor of portage printing something in red at the end of an emerge
27 > stating that the file had been updated and needed to be looked at;
28 > better, if it would print the (newly added) contents of the file. Some
29 > of the messages printed are about crucial things that need to be done,
30 > often configuration changes; leaving them to be read only if one feels
31 > like it might leave people thinking that the messages there don't
32 apply
33 > to them.
34 >
35 > - John
36 Just a quick note. I agree completely that portage must somehow output
37 this information after a massive emerge, or store it somewhere, however,
38 I question the sanity of yet another small utility. We already have
39 etc-update, env-update, modules-update and a host of other 'small'
40 applications. In my experience helping people on #gentoo, one of the
41 most common problems is the average new gentoo user's lack of awareness
42 of the existence of these small helper applications.
43
44 Integrating this with etc-update or another -update application seems
45 like a far better idea than just writing another script.
46
47 In fact, the idea of replacing all of said applications with ONE
48 gentoo-update seems like something that should be approached in the near
49 future. Even if gentoo-update is just a shell script that calls other
50 shell scripts.
51
52 --Todd
57 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list