From: George Prowse <cokehabit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:50:55
1 Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
2 > Hiya all,
3 >
4 > As some of you are already aware, I was at the last Council meeting
5 > given a Task. This Task was to draft a proposed Code of Conduct for
6 > Gentoo, and a scheme for enforcing it. The current version of this
7 > proposal can be found at http://dev.gentoo.org/~christel/coc.xml
8 > comments and suggestions both on- and off-list are appreciated.
9 >
10 > Any input will have to be received by Thursday, 15 March, 1200GMT in
11 > order to be useful; the Council will be voting on it later that day at
12 > 2100UTC.
13 >
14 > I would like to thank a few people for their help in getting it to this
15 > stage: the council for review, spb for translating Christelsk into
16 > English (with the help of the OED), nightmorph for making it look
17 > prettier than plain text in vim (without a fancy colourscheme), and
18 > marienz for being sane and reading it over.
19 >
20 > I'd also like to thank our Infrastructure team for working with us and
21 > answering questions regarding the mechanics of enforcing such a code.
22 >
23 > Christelx
26 Having lots of experience in this I feel I can bring some constructive
27 criticism here.
28
29 It is written in a manner that has no direction. It is far too tentative
30 and as such comes over as suggestions rather than a set of rules that
31 one has to adhere to. The language should be changed so that /these are
32 the rules and these are the consequences/ For example: "Acceptable
33 behaviour: Things that we do want to see" should be changed to something
34 like "This is what Gentoo considers to be acceptable. Any posts not
35 adhering to this will subject to deletion and poster may be subject to
36 removal from the subsequent information channel."
37
38 It is necessary for everyone to know exactly where they stand because
39 any ambiguity can be used by those who wish to disrupt and so far that
40 has caused many users and developers to leave.
41
42 If you want an example see the rules I made for the userreps forum. If
43 you need any help, contact me.
44
45 George
46 --