From: Bob Miller <kbob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Be Careful of Your MAKEOPTS!!
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 11:43:16
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:26:51 -0600 Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 > | P.S. Developers: You might want to look into adding a number to the
6 > | '-j' option in MAKEOPTS during emerges of certain packages to account
7 > | for this situation.
8 >
9 > Wouldn't that be rather unfair upon users who have a 100 CPU distcc
10 > cluster?
11
12 My testing showed that distcc doesn't seem to scale beyond about 8-10
13 hosts. (Hosts, not CPUs.) Since the originator has to do all the cpp
14 processing and all the linking, the other hosts start standing around
15 idle when the originator reaches 100% CPU.
16
17 Am I wrong? Am I doing something wrong? I can get more CPUs... (-:
20 Bob Miller K<bob>
21 kbobsoft software consulting
22 http://kbobsoft.com kbob@××××××××××.com
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list