From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] overlays.gentoo.org restoration & post-mortem
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 07:04:58
1 On 01/18/2014 01:23 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 >
3 > On 18 January 2014 18:02, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o
4 > <mailto:robbat2@g.o>> wrote:
5 >
6 > - More people need to use the infra-status page to learn about the state
7 > of Gentoo services.
11 > A service middle layer like fastly or cloudflare
12 No,
13
14 These services break SSL and most of the time just lead to redirection
15 loops and other "fun".
16
17 Also ClownFlair doesn't work properly without Javascript ...
18
19 So it'd actually reduce availability and the size of our wallet, which
20 doesn't sound like a good strategy to me.
21
22 > which could link to the
23 > infra page would be good here perhaps, so when an outage occurred ( at
24 > least on the web side ) appropriate links to infra could be given.
25 The more sane fix would be low DNS TTL and rotating DNS to a different
26 IP if things are down.
29 > And the infra status page is not exactly obvious. Its not listed on the
30 > "gentoo sites" list on the top right, and perhaps it aught to be.
31
32 Yes, that might be quite nice (plus maybe posting longer outages in a
33 way that they are visible on the frontpage?)
34
35 Have fun,
36
37 Patrick