From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: qa@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA bikeshed: killing USE=dedicated in favor of uniform USE=client+server
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 22:06:33
1 This seems quite reasonable, and I welcome QA's efforts at maintaining
2 uniformity and cleanliness.
3
4 +1
5 On Aug 20, 2015 7:43 PM, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6
7 > Hi,
8 >
9 > Right now, a number of game packages are using USE=dedicated to control
10 > 'installing a dedicated game server only'. Aside to that, some game
11 > packages also have USE=server that controls building the server itself.
12 > Non-game package use USE=client and USE=server.
13 >
14 > In order to improve uniformity of USE flags across different packages,
15 > the QA team would like to deprecate USE=dedicated and use USE=client
16 > and USE=server as appropriate.
17 >
18 > The problems I see with USE=dedicated are:
19 >
20 > - it is game-specific. The term 'dedicated server' is not used amongst
21 > other server/client model packages.
22 >
23 > - It uses negative logic. Instead of enabling something, it disables
24 > client. Pretty much 'dedicated' == 'noclient'. Negative logic is
25 > confusing.
26 >
27 > - In packages having USE=server as well, it can lead to really absurd
28 > combinations, like what does 'USE=dedicated -server' mean? Will it
29 > build no executables at all? If we add REQUIRED_USE='dedicated?
30 > ( server )', this gets quite unfriendly.
31 >
32 > As an alternative, we would use USE=client and USE=server along with
33 > proper IUSE defaults to control client & server builds appropriately.
34 > Both flags use positive logic, and REQUIRED_USE='|| ( client server )'
35 > is rather clear.
36 >
37 > Does anyone see any real problems with that?
38 >
39 > --
40 > Best regards,
41 > Michał Górny