From: Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt <charon@×××××××××××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild info: author, maintainer and copyrights
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 08:06:04
1 On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 08:26:37AM +0200, Vitaly Kushneriuk wrote:
2 > > What _real_ difference does it make? The only difference is that
3 > > Gentoo Technologies, Inc. can't relicense it and make a closed-source
4 > > version. However, if it was possible for them, and if they did, everybody
5 > > could just ignore them and continue working on the last version released
6 > > under the GPL.
7 > The point is not that you can't fork the project. You'r right at that
8 > you always can, if it's licensed under GPL. The point is preserving
9 > the future "free" status of _all_ derivative works as well. If you don't
10 > care about that, you can just put all the work in "public domain".
11
12 But all of a sudden I have to trust you? You won't trust Gentoo, why should
13 anybody want to trust eachother then? If people keep the copyright to them-
14 selves, it would mean that small pieces of Gentoo could fall into proprie-
15 tary status. If the majority of people are so paranoid that they won't trust
16 Gentoo Technologies, Inc. with a few ebuilds, the only solution would be to
17 make a "Gentoo Social Contract" or some sorts, where it would be guaranteed
18 that Gentoo will always be Free Software. But if you can't make the leap of
19 faith and trust Daniel Robbins when he says Gentoo will always be Free, why
20 would you trust such a document?
21
22 Anyway, once I get around to contributing to this fine project, I won't have
23 any problem assigning my copyright to Gentoo. It's the least I can do in
24 return for getting such a nice distribution.
27 Best Regards
28 Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt