From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CI services for Gentoo & Social Contract meanings of "dependant" notifications on depgraph breakages
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 11:19:23
1 On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 5:56 AM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 > Argument about saving Gentoo Foundation financial resources by
3 > using hardware for CI for free is heard and taken. This is a
4 > serious one and I can't argue here. But frankly it looks like to me
5 > that we are just selling our freedom, slowly, bit by bit.
8 Well, then buy it back! I'm sure everybody would prefer to use
9 something which is FOSS. Somebody just has to build it.
10
11 The only thing the Council/Trustees/etc can do is say "no, you're not
12 allowed to build that." The Trustees do have some money, but not
13 really all that much if you want to hire somebody to build something.
14 So, we have to rely on somebody stepping up and doing the work.
15
16 For us to actually say "no, I'd prefer that you did nothing at all
17 rather than working on what you're working on right now" is a pretty
18 big step to take. We'll take it over something serious, but you can
19 imagine that we're going to be reluctant to take it over where an
20 overlay gets hosted, or over an optional CI layer, and so on.
21
22 I fully accept that this isn't entirely without risk.
25 Rich