From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git workflow, commit messages
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2015 14:46:55
1 On 08/09/2015 04:31 PM, Gordon Pettey wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 7:06 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o
3 > <mailto:blueness@g.o>> wrote:
6 > Particularly, we should prepend "CATEGORY/PN: " to the first line so
7 > we can easily search git log for what happened to a package.
10 > Good format to help reading unfiltered logs, but invalid reasoning. 'git
11 > log portage/cat/pn' or 'git log portage/cat-old/pn-old
12 > portage/cat-moved/pn-moved' gets every commit affecting files in said
13 > package's directory.
17 "git log some-dir" is directory-based, while the commit message is based
18 on what the commit primarily affected. In addition, you don't really
19 want to guess what "PN: foo" means, because of name ambiguity (we have a
20 lot of those in the tree).
21
22 Anyway, this is already decided. If you want to improve the
23 wording/reasoning in the wiki, go ahead:
24 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow#commit_message_format