From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are || ( ) dependencies?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:50:17
1 On 12/17/10 4:25 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > As a result of things like this, Portage has had various different sets
3 > of heuristics over time, and Paludis has had a different set.
4
5 Generally it seems fine to have different heuristics (I'll comment on
6 the specific problem below).
7
8 > Paludis currently interprets this as "I prefer <1.3.99.901, but will
9 > also accept >=1.3.99.901". In particular, if <1.3.99.901[xcb] is
10 > already installed, libX11 won't be upgraded. Some Portage versions also
11 > do this, and others don't.
12
13 I don't understand why we can't upgrade libX11 in that case. Shouldn't
14 emerge -uDNa world (or its Paludis equivalent) "think" like this:
15
16 Okay, I have libX11 installed here, and a more recent version is
17 available. The more recent version satisfies this || () dependency, so
18 just update it.
19
20 > There's one easy fix, which solves this and every other possible
21 > convoluted case (and some of those can be fairly horrible...): require
22 > ebuild developers to always list 'best' things leftmost.
23
24 Sounds reasonable.
25
26 > The other option is that we mandate a particular selection algorithm
27 > for || ( ) dependencies.
28
29 Doesn't that somehow contradict the idea that || () lists equivalent
30 dependencies? Maybe we should fix the heuristics.
31
32 In this specific case, it seems reasonable to still upgrade libX11, right?
33
34 > So would anyone be especially opposed to making "best leftmost" an
35 > explicit requirement, enforced by repoman where possible (at least for
36 > the >= / < case)?
37
38 I don't think that >= / < case is enforceable by repoman (i.e. that we
39 always prefer the more recent version of a package).
40
41 However, saying that the preferred dependency should be listed first
42 sounds reasonable.
43
44 Paweł