From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] POSIX shell and "portable"
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 01:09:04
1 On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 01:19 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > Please stop calling it "more portable". The shell code you see in
3 > configure can in a way be called "portable". Your POSIX compliant stuff
4 > isn't. In fact, by stating #!/bin/sh you actually make the code useless
5 > on a number of platforms, where it would have been working fine if there
6 > just were #!/bin/bash there.
7 >
8 > It seems to me that you actually mean "more FreeBSD-able" or something,
9 > which is a high price to pay for a relatively small part of Gentoo as a
10 > whole.
11
12 Another way of looking at it is that you're forcing specific tools on
13 people, where I am asking people to use standard POSIX tools.
14
15 I guess it's because I'm an Engineer and you probably aren't. If the
16 tool isn't up to the job, then fix the tool. If the tool doesn't claim
17 any standards compliance then feel free to change it.
18
19 Thanks
20
21 Roy