From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of elibtoolize
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 15:32:05
1 On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 16:21:36 +0100
2 James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 17:13:50 +0200
5 > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 13:58:32 +0100
8 > > James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 09:15:50 +0200
11 > > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
12 > > >
13 > > > > That said, I don't find the current solution really optimal. A
14 > > > > lot of ebuilds (mine, for example) are not using elibtoolize,
15 > > > > and I expect that they may randomly fail for some people in
16 > > > > corner cases. But I don't feel like adding another eclass to
17 > > > > all ebuilds in the tree is a good idea.
18 > > > >
19 > > > > Portage already does some configure updates in econf. How about
20 > > > > we move the whole thing straight into Portage, implicitly
21 > > > > activated by econf? That would certainly increase coverage,
22 > > > > remove some QA violations from ECLASSDIR and possibly solve the
23 > > > > problem long-term.
24 > > > >
25 > > > > What do you think?
26 > > >
27 > > > I support this. I don't know if it's as big a problem as it was
28 > > > when I last looked at it but cross-compiling often failed without
29 > > > the sysroot patch. Much like you, before becoming a dev, I did not
30 > > > want to file a whole string of bug reports requesting that
31 > > > elibtoolize be added to loads of ebuilds.
32 > > >
35 > > there is a simple solution to this: profile.bashrc :)
36 >
37 > Indeed, I did some godawful things with bashrc that make my own eyes
38 > bleed but I stopped short of adding elibtoolize. It might work but if
39 > it would work that reliably, why not make it standard?
42 yes it should; not sure why previous attempts aborted