From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:12:30
1 Marius Mauch wrote: [Fri Nov 11 2005, 11:40:53AM CST]
2 > Things that I'd like to be changed/I'm not completely sure about:
3 > - filtering of news items:
4 > I've already asked a similar question in another mail (in other
5 > context) without an answer, but how many news items do people believe
6 > will exist at any given time? Depending on the actual implementation it
7 > might be required to scan all existing news items which could take some
8 > time if there is a large number of them (say, more than a few hundred)
9 > It's clear that noone can present accurate numbers, just after some
10 > rough estimates here.
11
12 The GLEP sets the bar pretty high for what should be a significant news
13 item, so my extremely rough guess is that 30/year would be on the quite
14 high side. Ideally this system should extend, not supplant, the normal
15 einfo/ewarn notices. (Um, what is the status of the einfo/ewarn message
16 system that went into CVS. Any ETA on when it's going to be back-ported
17 to current portage? I could see where there might be a tendency to
18 abuse the news system if the messaging stuff is still unavailable.)
19
20 > Also it might be useful for this filtering to be an external tool using
21 > portage functions and called by portage (see also below). Although this
22 > could be considered an implementation detail as it's mostly transparent
23 > for ebuild devs/users.
24
25 I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.
26
27 > - local storage of news items / "read" attribute:
28 > I don't really the like the copy-if-new feature and handling at the fs
29 > level, I'd use a file that lists the ids of news items (potentially
30 > with a timestamp and/or status field). I don't see any benefits of
31 > having redundancy here, and accessing the news in $PORTDIR is simple
32 > enough. Granted race conditions might be an issue (where the solution
33 > complicates tools), but that's so minor I wouldn't really care about
34 > it.
35
36 My impression was that ciaranm was thinking of using something akin to a
37 Maildir mailbox to hold and handle news items, because then one can
38 leverage an insane amount of existing stuff. *Shrug* I also wouldn't
39 object to a flat list of pointers to relevant files.
40
41 > Another thing that's unclear: "Whenever relevant unread news items are
42 > found, emerge will copy or symlink the news file into
43 > /var/lib/gentoo/news/."
44 > This "Whenever ... are found" is too vague, should this apply to emerge
45 > --sync, any emerge operation, any "import portage" call or what? This
46 > isn't just an implementation detail.
47
48 I was going to say that the only way new news items could appear is
49 during an emerge --sync, but of course that's not true for people who
50 either add an overlay or use CVS. I'd be comfortable with making it run
51 only at --sync time, or if it were triggered explicitly (--check-news,
52 or some such).
53
54 -g2boojum-
55 --
56 Grant Goodyear
57 Gentoo Developer
58 g2boojum@g.o
59 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
60 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76