From: Cory Visi <merlin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] more up to date minimal install cd
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 15:30:01
1 I just want to point out that I have gone through 4 years of
2 gcc/glibc/binutils/baselayout/udev/etc. updates on 8 production servers
3 with varying hardware _with the hardened profile_ and I've never had to
4 re-emerge world once.
5
6 In addition, I don't see a huge drawback to using other distro's LiveCDs.
7 Some distros specialize in making a LiveCD do everything possible, like
8 Knoppix. This group isn't maintaining a portage tree, they are just making
9 their LiveCD awesome. Why not piggyback on their efforts (our users are
10 doing it anyway)? That way we can focus our resources on making portage
11 great, which is Gentoo's true strength.
12
13 With Gentoo, once you are up and running, releases become very
14 unimportant. What do you think?
15
16 -Cory
17