From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] First release of Gentoo Keys
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 19:12:01
1 On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 19:44:46 +0100
4 > Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
5 >> Shor's would be effective against discrete logs (including ECC) as
6 >> well, so wouldn't be applicable to this selection. For post-quantum
7 >> asymmetric crypto we'd likely need e.g a lattice based primitive.
8 >
9 > We're not post-quantum, and if we were no-one knows how anything would
10 > do anyway... Why not stick to threats that actually exist?
11
12 For the same reason that we don't deploy 1024-bit RSA keys? Also, you
13 wouldn't necessarily know if we were post-quantum or not.
14
15 Nobody made the claim that nobody should ever use RSA, just that this
16 is an area of concern.
19 Rich