From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [gentoo-dev] Horrible package descriptions]
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:35:33
1 On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 02:22:56PM -0700, Spundun Bhatt wrote:
2 [...]
3 > This is the thing I'd like to see in a Linux distribution. Say, XMMS could be
4 > in sound/player, with keywords "mp3", "ogg", "mod" and "s3m". Probably it'd
5 > also have some property that would identify it as a Gtk app. Konqueror,
6 > Mozilla, Netscape, Opera would all be in web/browser
7 >
8 > Ideally, this is how things would work:
9 > $ emerge search mp3 player
10 > Searching...
11 >
12 > sound/player/noatun:
13 > environment: KDE
14 > keywords: mp3 ogg
15 >
16 > sound/player/xmms:
17 > environment: Gnome
18 > keywords: mp3 ogg mod s3m
19 >
20 > sound/player/mp3blaster:
21 > environment: command line
22 > keywords: mp3 ogg
23 >
24 > Recommended packages:
25 > [checks if the dependencies of any packages are already installed]
26 > noatun, mp3blaster
27
28 Now this is something I'm fully in favor of. It doesn't require much
29 additional data to be added to each ebuild (which is the case for long
30 descriptions) and it is sure as hell very handy.
31
32 However, there is at least one fallback: the current Portage implementation
33 is too slow to handle quick searches for keywords. Or the keywords need to be
34 centralized or we step away from the current ebuild implementation and go
35 into databaseformat or a hybrid solution. This is however a long-term vision;
36 perhaps we should first focus on more important things :)
37
38 Sven Vermeulen
39 Gentoo Documentation
40 --
41 Thanks to DRM, you know that something has been built in environment of
42 unspecified degree of security, from source you cannot check, written by
43 programmers you don't know, released after passing QA of unknown quality and
44 which is released under a license that disclaims any responsibility...