From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Last rites for $package ...
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:06:47
> > The problem was: someone (who's not reading this list) might be > interested in some package (or even had installed it) and now > gets trouble because its (from his view) sudden removal.
My project is responsible for what I'd imagine to be the most tree removals; we have strict guidelines regarding packages. For instance; the package must have a bug filed against it; it gets masked for 30 days prior to being actually punted; you should always see e-mail on this list regarding both it's masking and removal...These are all things to ensure people are aware of what is going on; this is not some "hidden" process.
> > An solution could be an database of packages scheduled for > removal. But this database has to be maintained. And it doesn't > seem that there's someone who's interested in doing this extra work.
Or you haven't talked to me or Beandog at all; since he has been working on this a while (now with upgraded tools!). There has been a GPNL description on the Treecleaner project page since day one; since *I* wrote it. Yeah it's not up yet; yeah I'm removing packages anyway; hopefully with the GPNL it will be more obvious to some people; but then you still need to search GPNL to see what the heck is scheduled for removal. Frankly if you can't read the ML archives or search on bugs when a package you find is masked; then I don't really know where else to point you... -Alec Warner TreeCleaners Lead -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Last rites for $package ... Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>