From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 13:58:15
1 On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 21:30:06 -0700
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > Yeah, but it's not going to happen without an EAPI/PMS extension.
5 > There needs to be a standard way for the package manager to check if
6 > there has been an upstream change for a given package since the last
7 > time it was rebuilt.
8
9 Something to add to the next version possibly.
10
11 > > Could have cron run that, and then an interval in portage is not
12 > > necessary.
13 >
14 > Doing updates via cron is inappropriate for most scenarios. I was
15 > thinking that we'd have an option to rebuild if an interval has
16 > expired *and* there has been an upstream change. That way, you can
17 > limit the rate of rebuilds if upstream is changing very frequently.
18
19 I was thinking of cron like regular system updates. May want to rebuild
20 it nightly, etc. Interval can be done in a variety of ways. The main
21 issue is detecting if upstream has changed or not.
22
23 > > I was more thinking some sort of hook to upstream to see if
24 > > there have been any commits or changes. No reason to rebuild a live
25 > > package if nothing changed :)
26 >
27 > Yeah, that's what I was thinking all along. That's why we need an
28 > EAPI/PMS extension, in order to implement behavior like
29 > smart-live-rebuild.
30
31 Hopefully that will be in a future version so such can be added. Up to
32 PMS authors.
35 William L. Thomson Jr.