From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] {Guide,Project,Foo}XML too confusing for many devs?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:40:03
1 On Monday 26 March 2007, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 08:05 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
3 > > my basic question is do you as a
4 > > developer find writing web pages to be confusing or difficult?
5 >
6 > As one who does a fair amount of web development myself. I rather like
7 > the guidexml formatted docs. Writing them is not a big deal at all.
8 >
9 > > Do you find that
10 > > you bump up against restrictions in the DTD or other problems that
11 > > prevent you from expressing yourself properly?
12 >
13 > Haven't felt limited or restricted on anything yet. ;)
14 >
15 > > Do you have any idea how to
16 > > actually go about extending GuideXML (or the other XML's we provide)
17 > > Have you ever tried?
18 >
19 > No clue on extension, and no I have not tried. Haven't had the need just
20 > yet.
21
22 As author of the projectxml I can say that extension is not trivial
23 (projectxml is somewhat an extension of guidexml). The main problem is that
24 the documents must remain compliant to the DTD of the format. Extending as
25 such is nontrivial. The way projectxml does it is accepting all the relevant
26 guidexml tags, just copy those over and then run the guidexml stylesheet over
27 the result (which then also includes the project specific stuff).
28
29 Paul
32 Paul de Vrieze
33 Gentoo Developer