From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@×××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why I don't think the CoC is a good idea
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:04:58
1 Le Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:06:28 +0100,
2 Alexandre Buisse <nattfodd@g.o> a écrit :
3
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > I've been voicing my concern repeatedly on irc, and I believe that it
7 > would probably be more effective here.
8 >
9 > I believe that the solution of adopting a Code of Conduct, especially in
10 > this rushed way, will ultimately hurt us, and that the disadvantages far
11 > outweight the benefits.
14 > one is right or wrong. As has been repeatedly pointed in many occasions,
15 > the written media and the differences of languages and cultures make it
16 > very difficult to understand the tone of messages and can generate very
17 > different reactions.
18
19 As user, I can confirm this. I was living a few years in another country as
20 mine, and cultural differences are a reality of our world. It can be 100% normal
21 to say something in one country when in a neighbour country, the same sentence
22 will be taken as an affront.
23
24 So, be cool. And maybe more important, respect each other. Respect is the only
25 cure against all kind of racism. We are not living i a perfect world and so are
26 we: unperfect. As said a Canadian poet: "Human beings have a problem: they don't
27 like each other, but they don't like solitude either."
28
29 So, if you feel at someone is showing some kind of disrespect, just ignore him
30 or her.
31
32 Otherwise, Georges idea to redirect the flame wars to another list sound very
33 good.
34
35 Ciao,
36 Dominique