From: kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Documentation issues (minor)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:42:37
1 I'm just installing my first Gentoo system ever, so I thought before
2 I forget I could tell you my experience. (The bootstrap is running,
3 so I have nothing else to do anyway :-)
4
5 * The documentation could say that support for a lot of network cards
6 is already compiled into the kernel. I was quite shocked when I
7 couldn't find the module for my Realtek card... (Or are the
8 modules on the initrd and it loads them from there? I know nothing
9 about initrd. But it doesn't matter, I think.)
10
11 * Maybe the installation documentation could say something about the
12 USE variable. Is it better to add a lot of settings right from the
13 start, or is it okay to just start with a few and then add more as
14 we go along?
15
16 I decided to add lots of settings that I think I will need.
17
18 * Maybe a word about continuation lines could be said. It seems I
19 can just break the line within the quotes, but how about saying
20 this explicitly?
21
22 * I kinda got confused about the network setup. (That shock about the
23 missing Realtek module must have been pretty severe :-) So I'm not
24 sure if the following is relevant. My dhcp server appears to need a
25 hostname. Does net-setup allow me to type one in? If not, it might
26 be a good feature.
27
28 Just to avoid any misunderstandings, I've been reading
29 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml
30 which I hope was the right thing to do.
31
32 Now I will go back and read some email. Stay tuned for more stupid
33 messages after the bootstrap has finished... (Or just tell me to
34 shut up if I'm annoying.)
35 --
36 Ambibibentists unite!
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list