From: Antoni Grzymala <awaria@××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rejecting unsigned commits
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:15:20
1 Torsten Veller dixit (2011-03-25, 08:15):
2
3 > * Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>:
4 > > On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Antoni Grzymala wrote:
5 > [Manifest signing]
6 > > > Does that get us any closer to GLEPs 57, 58, 59 (or generally
7 > > > approaching the tree-signing/verifying group of problems)?
8 > >
9 > > yes
10 >
11 > I think, it's a "no".
12 > The MetaManifest GLEP relies on a signed top-level "MetaManifest" which
13 > hashes all sub Manifests, whether they are signed or not doesn't matter.
14 >
15 > I don't see a major advantage to signed portage snapshots we already
16 > offer today.
17
18 It's just that for everyday use we (perspective of users, possibly
19 only me) would like to have the ability of easy and automated
20 verifying of Manifest GPG signatures whether we (r)sync, webrsync or
21 use a manually downloaded snapshot, with same level of assurance as in
22 other major distros (Debian, RH).
23
24 Regards,
27 [a]