From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new glep draft: Portage as a secondary package manager
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 00:39:33
1 Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > ----- Original Message -----
3 > From: "Marius Mauch" <genone@g.o>
4 >
5 >>Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
6 >
7 > <snip>
8 >
9 >>As for the new metadata variable, I think it should be a complement to
10 >>RESTRICT (not limited to prefix). As the name for this var I suggest
11 >>SUPPORTS, so for an ebuild that can install into /usr, $PREFIX and $HOME
12 >>it would look like:
13 >>SUPPORTS="prefix prefix-home" (as /usr is implicit)
16 > For the values of the SUPPORTS-Variable (i like the name) i'd prefer some
17 > words pointing to the package-manager used (primary/secondary/home), fex
18 > "secondarypm homepm" or "2ndpm homepm" or the like (more ideas welcome),
19 > because /usr is a 'prefix' too.
20
21 That looks horribly confusing. Doesn't really matter if /usr is a prefix
22 or not.
23
24 > But here's just one point to think of how to avoid redundant information in
25 > ebuilds:
26 >
27 > The SUPPORTS-Variable _will_ be necessary for home-installation, sure. But
28 > when an ebuild has KEYWORDS='sparc' and SUPPORTS='2ndpm', this does not
29 > automatically imply that it compiles on a 'sparc-solaris' - this keyword has
30 > to be added explicitly.
31 >
32 > But how likely is it that on 'sparc-solaris' portage would be the primary
33 > pkg mgr installing into /usr ?
34
35 Depends if there will be a Gentoo/OpenSolaris ...
36
37 > So when an ebuild has 'sparc-solaris' in keywords, imo one can assume that
38 > it _does_ support "secondarypm" (also look at
39 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0022.html#reasonable-defaults).
40 >
41 > Or is this assumption too much implicit ?
42
43 It would be confusing IMO.
44
45 Marius