From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Manifest2 hashes, take n+1-th: one hash to decide them all
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 17:43:34
1 On 25/10/2017 14:32, Hanno Böck wrote:
2 > Good security includes reducing complexity. Tough (as evident by this
3 > thread) it's a thought many people find hard to accept.
4 >
5 > This thread is going into a completely different direction and I find
6 > that worriesome. We have two non-problems ("what if secure hash X gets
7 > broken?" and "what if it's too slow? I haven't benchmarked, but what if
8 > it's too slow??") and people proposing increasingly complex solutions.
9 >
10 > If you do what you propose my worries aren't that any hash gets broken
11 > or that it's too slow. It's that some bug will chime in where in some
12 > situation no hash gets checked whatsoever.
13
14 +1
15
16 I consider the multiple hashes we have a part of providing smooth
17 migration path (keeping around hashes supported by older portage
18 versions). Other than that, yeah, watch out for complexity.
19
20 Paweł