From: Brian Magnuson <magnuson@×××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: rsk@×××××××××.edu
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge test...
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:29:42
1 This is a nice idea, but I think that the problem becomes intractable when you
2 take USE flags into account. To properly test an ebuild you would have to build
3 it with every permutation of it USE flags. As an extreme example, mplayer takes
4 something like 20 possible USE flags. That's about 1000000 builds of mplayer
5 that you just signed up for. Or 32 seperate builds of xfree86, and that's for
6 every version that current exists in portage, not just the latest one. You can
7 see how this gets out of control rather quickly...
10 * Riyad Kalla <rsk@×××××××××.edu> [2002-12-11 09:45]:
11 > Does Gentoo have a script that can test all available emerges for
12 > errors? Say have a machine setup, that has fast compiler settings (no
13 > optimizations) that just emerges the entire portage tree all day long...
14 > or do you just wait for people to report problems when emerging
15 > packages?
16 >
17 > is there anywya to automate this task? Seems not very likely, but I'm
18 > not sure of the intracacies of portage...
19 >
20 > -Riyad
23 > --
24 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list