From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: call for testers: udev predictable network interface names
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 20:37:08
1 On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM, Steven J. Long
2 <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > Christopher Head wrote:
4 >> William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> > There is a way for users to opt out if we default this to on, but I
7 >> > think the new naming scheme has advantages over the traditional eth*
8 >> > wlan* etc names.
9 >>
10 >> I think it should be taken with a grain of salt. The page mentions how
11 >> it lets you replace a failed NIC without losing its name. But given a
12 >> simple computer with just one NIC, if the NIC fails and is replaced
13 >> (perhaps by a different type of NIC in a different slot, or perhaps an
14 >> onboard NIC disabled in the BIOS and replaced by an add-in), the name
15 >> could change, while the kernel’s automatically assigned name will not:
16 >> eth0 (this also applies to a computer with one Ethernet NIC and one
17 >> wifi NIC: eth0 and wlan0). That fact was never mentioned on the wiki
18 >> page, even though it applies to a heck of a lot of systems. Perhaps
19 >> something to include when the Gentoo docs are put together, as part of
20 >> the balance of reasons to choose one way or the other?
21 >>
22 > That's a very good point. For the vast majority of users all these
23 > "desktop" changes are supposed to help, it's not at all relevant.
24 > Obviously it's good to have the functionality should you need it, but
25 > again it appears that simple cases are being made complex, just to allow
26 > for someone else's complex cases. Which is faulty logic.
27
28 I think the wiki page explains the motivations well. They are similar
29 to the disk changes that were made years ago (porting apps to use
30 UUIDs to ensure you have the correct disk, even when disk order
31 changes.) The MAC address is obviously the first UUID one thinks of;
32 however they talk about why they did not end up choosing the MAC
33 address as the UUID for network devices.
34
35 As an example; I have a server with two ethernet ports. One is onboard
36 (driverA) and the other is a pci-express card (driverB.) It turns out
37 driverB doesn't work, but sometimes driverB gets put as eth0. Then the
38 machine cannot get on the network. We work around this by blacklisting
39 driverB (so it is never loaded as an ethernet device) but it might be
40 saner to adopt this new udev and simply configure the network to use
41 driverA always.
44 > While many packages have default configurations, changing the default
45 > setup for base system packages in the absence of any configuration is
46 > not generally a good idea, unless you know for a fact it's not going to
47 > mess anything up (which is a big ask given that you're distributing
48 > source.)
49 >
50 > Especially given the arguments presented as a motivation, that all this
51 > has "serious security implications, for example in firewall rules which
52 > are coded for certain naming schemes, and which are hence very sensitive
53 > to unpredictable changing names."
54 >
55 > If you're certain that every user with a current simple setup, who
56 > uses the kernel default names, and has such a firewall setup isn't
57 > going to suddenly find their interface name changed when they reboot,
58 > fair play to you. If not, allow the admin to opt-in, rather than force
59 > them to opt-out when something breaks.
60 >
61 > That's the usual manner to introduce something new or changed, and for
62 > good reason. After all, those who are aware of it and interested,
63 > already know to configure it, or are looking for help to do so. Most
64 > other users don't care, and don't want the maintenance headache.
65
66 I agree it is one way to introduce something new; I wouldn't say it is
67 the only way (or even the 'usual' way.)
70 > --
71 > #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)
72 >