From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: udev-bugs@g.o, systemd <systemd@g.o>, base-system <base-system@g.o>, agk@××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dropping static libs support from cryptsetup and lvm2
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 06:46:15
1 El mié, 31-07-2013 a las 22:32 -0400, Alexandre Rostovtsev escribió:
2 > On Wed, 2013-07-31 at 22:12 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > Honestly, I don't think maintainers should be asked to justify
4 > > features unless they're actually causing some kind of conflict.
5 > >
6 > > If Robin wants to support USE=static for lvm2, he can do so. If it
7 > > somehow caused problems with other packages that would be a different
8 > > matter, but I can't see how a static binary should hurt anything. If
9 > > he wanted to drop dynamic linking support I'd also be concerned.
10 > > However, maintainers should be free to support options even if some
11 > > consider them a waste of time.
12 > >
13 > > If Robin wants to satisfy our idle curiosity he can do so, but let's
14 > > not hound maintainers willing to do extra work unless they're actually
15 > > causing problems.
16 >
17 > The problem is when that extra work results in a flag on virtual/udev
18 > which cannot be satisfied by some of the virtual's implementations (like
19 > systemd) and which then leads to several screen lengths of uninformative
20 > portage errors facing users who are upgrading to gnome-3.8.
25 And also forces sys-apps/udev maintainers to keep patching it to
26 "support" static stuff on it, even when upstream don't care about it and
27 disabled it