From: marduk <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] preliminary xml interface to package.g.o
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:14:37
I've taken what's in the packages.gentoo.org database and converted it
to ad-hoc XML.  This is in hopes of someday actually making it useful.
There are XML files divided by architecture and "branch", for example"

http://packages.gentoo.org/archs/x86/stable/portage.xml

... just like the rest of the site works, pretty much.  I am no XML
whiz, and would appreciate suggestions.  Also, not all fields are
present because not all fields yet exist in the packages.g.o database.
I present everything that's in the db except the changelog.

I also hope to add xml output to the regular pages, for example,
http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=net-www&format=xml

Files are large but compress well, for example, 3.2MB x86/stable gzips
down to 400k, bzip2s to 272k.

Lots of possibilities.  I will place the code in cvs as soon as I get
over programmer's bashfulness ;-)

--m