From: marduk <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] preliminary xml interface to package.g.o
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:14:37
1 I've taken what's in the packages.gentoo.org database and converted it
2 to ad-hoc XML. This is in hopes of someday actually making it useful.
3 There are XML files divided by architecture and "branch", for example"
4
5 http://packages.gentoo.org/archs/x86/stable/portage.xml
6
7 ... just like the rest of the site works, pretty much. I am no XML
8 whiz, and would appreciate suggestions. Also, not all fields are
9 present because not all fields yet exist in the packages.g.o database.
10 I present everything that's in the db except the changelog.
11
12 I also hope to add xml output to the regular pages, for example,
13 http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=net-www&format=xml
14
15 Files are large but compress well, for example, 3.2MB x86/stable gzips
16 down to 400k, bzip2s to 272k.
17
18 Lots of possibilities. I will place the code in cvs as soon as I get
19 over programmer's bashfulness ;-)
22 --m
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list