From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rm `which gcc` && emerge -e world
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 12:20:16
1 Tomasz Mloduchowski wrote:
2 > Now, that I've got your attention. IMHO above should NOT fail - most of
3 > the software in portage is already using ${HOST}-gcc instead and gcc
4 > symlink is just a convenience.
5 >
6 > But it does. In packages I will never suspect being nasty (qt, lynx) and
7 > ones I would, but they shouldn't (fuse)
8 >
9 > What is so important in that feature? Crosscompilation and distcc.
10 > For example, I have alpha-unknown-linux-gnu running as a distcc server
11 > for x86 box. And, it does not work for those packages.
12 >
13 > I got sick of filling 3 almost identical bug reports
14 > 110040, 110086 and 110087 and I'm not even at half of emerge -uD world.
15 >
16 > So, if you agree that it IS a problem, do the `rm` and run ebuilds you
17 > maintain. You will save me another 10 or so unnended bugreports.
18 >
19 > Tomasz
20
21 You can quite easily get around these problems by being clever with
22 distccd and some strategically placed symlinks. Simply, cd
23 /usr/<foo>-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/<version>/, create symlinks in that
24 directory that point cc, gcc, g++, and c++ to the appropriate
25 ${CHOST}-gcc, etc... binaries, and then use a script such as
26 http://dev.gentoo.org/~geoman/mips-distcc.sh to start an arch specific
27 distccd on its own port. You can then use distcc-config to set your
28 distcc hosts to host:port on the box you are compiling on.
29
30 This works great, and is pretty much 100% foolproof as far as I can tell.
31
32 -Steve
33 --
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list