From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: eug-lug@×××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Postmortem: Gentoo + wireless
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:41:39
1 On Tuesday 18 February 2003 05:34, Joseph Carter wrote:
2 > 2. pcmcia-cs seems to lock solid every single kernel I threw at the
3 > thing, regardless of whether or not it was actually doing anything
4 > with PCMCIA at the time.
5 >
6 > Solution: Gentoo 1.4 uses pcmcia-cs 3.2.1, which is not the current
7 > version. 3.2.3 is available but masked I guess until 1.4 is ready for
8 > release. Lots of people report similar lockups with the drivers in
9 > 1.4, and while I can't say it will fix everyone's problems, I know
10 > that it has fixed mine.
11
12 actually, 3.2.3 has been in cvs for months now:
13 http://cvs.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gentoo-x86/sys-apps/pcmcia-cs/
14 it was added back in november
15
16 > 5. Replacement for the above was a Belkin F5D6130 (wth kind of model
17 > number is that?!) which has no only SNMP configuration. The ap-utils
18 > page says it's supported, so I emerge ap-utils on my desktop machine
19 > and run it. This didn't work, and basically hosed the AP so that
20 > nothing could even see it anymore. Hardware reset and settings wipe
21 > made the Windows drivers able to see it.
22 >
23 > Solution: ap-utils 1.0.5 is what's in Gentoo. This version is ancient
24 > and not useful with most newer APs. 1.3.1 is currently stable, so I
25 > had to make an ebuild for it. Gentoo bug 15912 contains the ebuild.
26 > Note, the Windows crap for this thing have two options for security:
27 > none and single passwd for everything. ap-config can do better, but
28 > after changing security settings the Belkin-provided software no
29 > longer recognise it as a Belkin AP. How terrible! ;)
30
31 ap-utils-1.3.1 was added earlier today to cvs ...
32 http://cvs.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gentoo-x86/net-wireless/ap-utils/
33
34 -mike
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list