From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About using USE flags to pull in needed RDEPENDs being discouraged by devmanual
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 16:13:18
1 It breaks the useflag philosophy, IMO.
2
3 Useflags were meant as switches. You can turn things on and off. Pulling
4 in optional dependencies via useflags does not allow the user to turn
5 something off when he sets USE="-foo" emerge fuqbar.
6 That should only be valid for virtuals or meta-packages. And that's what
7 those are for.
8
9 It's not that important if there is a linkage IMO (like the devmanual
10 says), cause that may not apply to all languages/usecases, but it MUST
11 change what gets installed.
12
13 > 1. We rely in people reading the message to get package working ok.
14
15 Yes, we should rely on that.
16
17 > 2. If user emerges ppp, it will be recorded in world file and, then, if
18 > in the future he removes bluez, emerge --depclean want clean no longer
19 > needed ppp and then, people end up with a lot of packages they needed
20 > to manually emerge some year but that they problem no longer need at all.
21
22 It's not our job to maintain users world files.