From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Running repoman on the portage tree
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 01:31:19
1 On 11/21/2014 05:06 PM, Piotr Szymaniak wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 08:07:36PM +0800, Patrick Lauer wrote:
3 >> http://packages.gentooexperimental.org/repoman-checks/
4 >>
5 >> updated per cron job, split by category. Much easier to handle :)
6 >>
7 >> Feel free to work on fixing things - there's enough issues that you
8 >> won't run out of work this decade.
9 >
10 > So, lets assume that a lot of users get their hands on fixing things
11 > ("lets make Gentoo a better distro!"). What's the work path here? Fix,
12 > diff, new bug "I fixed this and that!"? git portage... pull request?
13
14 The long answer is: please become a developer, that's really the best
15 way. If you're interested in fixing repoman warnings, updating EAPIs,
16 and things like that, the QA team might be a good place to look for a
17 mentor (#gentoo-qa).
18
19 In the meantime, anyone can fill out the quizzes:
20
21 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/quiz/ebuild-quiz.txt
22
23 That will save you a lot of time when you do begin the recruitment
24 process, since you can just send off the quiz that you already have
25 finished.
28 > Just asking, but I know that fixing things that will stay forever on
29 > Bugzilla is killing motivation.
30
31 Indeed, I know the feeling. To avoid burning out, you'd have to pick
32 issues that are likely to actually get fixed. As a non-developer, that
33 rules out the areas that could most use the help: maintainer-needed
34 packages, and packages belonging only to herds that are essentially
35 abandoned. Without the threat of commit access behind you, it's going to
36 be next to impossible to fix those.
37
38 And stable ebuilds can't be changed, so those are out.
39
40 So I would look for ebuilds with active, non-herd maintainers that are
41 still in ~arch to work on. And then open bugs that will get assigned to
42 the maintainer. A diff against the latest ebuild in the tree is fine. If
43 you do find a mentor in QA, I believe they have the authority to fix
44 these things, so you might get some help if your fixes are ignored.
45
46 Another way you can help out is to find the bugs that belong to upstream
47 (e.g. parallel compilation), and submit fixes to their respective bug
48 trackers. Then you can open a Gentoo bug pointing to the upstream
49 report. When the upstream bug is fixed, the workaround can go away.