From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 16:20:27
1 On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 6:06:35 PM CEST, Richard Yao wrote:
2
3 > That is unless you put per-system state in /usr/local, do symlinks to it
4 > in / and mount /usr/local as part of system boot, which is the other way
5 > of doing this. I have seen a variant of this done in asuswrt-merlin on
6 > routers.
7
8 This doesnt seem to have anything to do with what I was describing.
9
10 Another option I'm using a lot is nfsroot. This doesn't have the same level
11 of flexibility: running multiple hosts with nfsroot and thus shared
12 /etc/fstab tends to be annoying.
13
14 >> See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove for a more complete
15 >> discussion.
16 >
17 > That does not address the problems of supporting this configuration in a
18 > rolling release.
19 >
20 > Formats in /etc can fall out of sync with software in /usr. If boot
21 > options change, the stuff in /etc/init.d is not updated. If you add
22 > software, the update to /etc/init.d is omitted. If you have a baselayout
23 > change, it is not propagated.
24
25 Ever heard of CONFIG_PROTECT ? :) What you describe is already what happens
26 and what most people want.