From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: i have an idea ! (erescue)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:20:37
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Thus, my suggestion. Why not create a second feature, toolchain-buildpkg,
3 > I'm calling it here for purposes of developing the suggestion, that's on
4 > by default, as contrasted to the normal buildpkg being off by default.
5 > The Gentoo Handbook would then of course be modified to cover it and
6 > mention why Gentoo recommends that it stay on. Portage would then always
7 > buildpkg anything rescue-critical, including portage itself, gcc,
8 > binutils, coreutils, python, etc. Don't forget glibc (which would of
9 > course need put in place from a LiveCD, one's "emergency" copy of the root
10 > partition, etc).
11
12 What is a probability that user running *stable* branch would bork his
13 box by upgrades?
14
15 Aren't those running ~ARCH expected to make backups? Is it such a
16 problem to reboot their *testing* boxes from some CD and restore backups
17 from such environment? (I know about special cases like machines w/o
18 CD-ROM/netboot, but I think their owners are skilled enough to find
19 other solution which better suits their needs.)
20
21 Why bother with such a feature which won't be used by most of people,
22 instead of doing something "more useful"? Just my 2 cents, though.
23
24 -jkt
27 cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth