From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pending dooooooom of use.defaults
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:20:56
1 On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 06:57:24AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > as one of the new sane features of the next portage-2.1_pre release, we're
3 > looking to cut out use.defaults support
4 >
5 > existing stable users wont be affected as the 2.0.x versions will continue to
6 > carry support for this, but some of you stable users may notice some USE
7 ^^^^^^
8 > flags suddenly "disappearing"
9
10 I'm a bit confused, existing stable users won't be affected, but they
11 will notice use flags "disappearing"? Wouldn't that mean they are
12 affected or did you simply mistype and mean unstable?
13
14 > to recap, use.defaults inserts USE flags for you based upon what packages you
15 > have installed when you havent declared a preference. for example, if you
16 > have neither '-cups' or 'cups' in your USE (either in your make.conf,
17 > profile, env, whatever), but you do have the net-print/cups package
18 > installed, portage will add 'cups' to your USE
19
20 That's the current behaviour in stable 2.0.x and will be gone with
21 2.1, right?
22
23 I'm a little confused now, could you clarify this?
24
25 cheers,
26 Wernfried
29 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
30 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
31 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org