From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages pulling in python-3*, also they dont require it
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:14:04
On 03/19/2010 10:57 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 03:54:28 -0500 > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote: >> Ciaran McCreesh wrote: >>> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 23:17:17 +0100 >>> Ben de Groot<yngwin@g.o> wrote: >>> >>>> Because it is extremely useless to the great majority of users. >>>> >>> Most packages in the tree are useless to the great majority of >>> users. >> >> Which is why most users don't install everything. I have about 1000 >> packages installed here. The packages installed are either something >> I use or a dependency of something I use. What exactly is this being >> installed for again? If nothing depends on it, there is no need to >> have it. > > It's being installed because it's a dependency of something you use. > > Replace Python with any other library and we wouldn't be having this > discussion.
It's weird that we have this discussion, that's true. Why don't you guys simply do what you did before when Qt3 was still in the tree? Qt3 applications depended on x11-libs/qt:3, Qt4 ones on x11-libs/qt:4 (before the Qt4 ebuild split). It seems very obvious and straightforward that the same applies here. And if a package offers both Python 2 and Python 3 compatibility, it should depend on whatever the upstream of that package considers best. Also, we had a "qt" and "qt4" USE flag before. Why not "python" and "python3" flags? That's an additional way ebuilds can choose deps. You guys always make easy decisions so complicated. :P