From: david@×××××××××.com
To: Dejan Nikic <dejann@××××××××××××.edu>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Embedded
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:02:15
1 On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:11:44AM -0800, Dejan Nikic wrote:
2 > Acctually I think this should work. I'm not really interested with
3 > updates anyways. The computer (like most real embedded devices) will
4 > not be connected to the outside world, so no security risks and need to
5 > upgrade without doing a complete overhaul. I just need something stable
6 > that works. I just have to see how it will behave with my RT kernel.
9 I have a script I put together that will 'emerge' packages into an
10 alternate root using portage. My goal was a machine 'image' that I
11 could stick in an embedded device, and if upgrades were needed I would
12 upgrade the 'image' not individual packages.
13 At the smallest so far, i put busybox+glibc+kernel in 50 megs(i know
14 that's huge i compiled in locales and other junk), but right now I'm
15 working on building a uclibc toolchain. And I should have that
16 finished in about a week. My earlier postings about the "-doc" use
17 flag, which has turned into a FEATURE were related to this.
18 At any rate, if you are interested I could show you a copy of what
19 i've been working on.
20
21 On a side note if i compile busybox statically everything fits in
22 about 5 megs.
23
24 One thing that is clear... gentoo(portage) needs better cross compilation and
25 alternate libc support. I have some hacked code from aiken and
26 zwelch(gcc-config-1.4.5) that I can *sorta* work with. But there are
27 some intricacies of portage I don't understand... that I cannot get around.
28
29 Dave
30