From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev coldplugging and /etc/init.d/modules
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 17:09:54
1 On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 03:40:33PM +0100, Sven K?hler wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > when does udev load all the modules and does coldplug?
5
6 When it first runs.
7
8 > Is it happening before /etc/init.d/modules?
9
10 Yes.
11
12 > If yes, than i would like to shout: are you crazy?
13
14 Of course, I wouldn't be doing this work if I wasn't :)
15
16 > Well, until udev became stable, /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.? was a
17 > good place, to load modules in a specific order - before coldplug.
18 >
19 > Unfortunatly, the order of loading of modules defines the ordner of the
20 > network-interfaces (if you different types of network cards).
21
22 If you rely on the specific loading order of modules, you were the crazy
23 one in the first place :)
24
25 As others have said, look at using udev to name your network devices in
26 a persistant manner, it's the best solution.
27
28 Or you can just blacklist the modules, and then load them yourself in
29 your modules startup location.
30
31 The problem with doing this is the modules.d stuff is still broken for
32 blacklisting, it will only work on the first reboot of the system,
33 there's an open bug for this issue :(
34
35 Hope this helps,
36
37 greg k-h