From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for IRC channel/ user forum
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:12:00
1 antarus posted recently to the user reps forum asking for feedback on how to
2 solve user experience glitches like the recent xmms removal. (I do *not*
3 want to discuss that thanks ;) The thread is at:
4 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-516142.html
5
6 richfish came up with the simplest solution to the problem of old ebuilds:
7 > The best possible case I can think of for most of these ebuilds is to push
8 > them upstream assuming upstream is alive and willing to maintain them
9 > (possibly with some user-supplied patches now and then). Users would then
10 > be responsible for installing the ebuilds to their local overlays, and
11 > filing bugs with upstream if something doesn't work. In fact, my strong
12 > preference in this is to just tell users to use their local overlay
13 > regardless of whether upstream accepts ownership of the ebuilds. I would
14 > even suggest we encourage this by providing a dedicated forum and IRC
15 > channel for users to help each other with their 'private' ebuilds.
16 >
17 This requires a new IRC channel and forum (one suggestion was `sunset' 8) so
18 I thought I'd post in here to see what everyone thought.
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list