From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmasking modular X
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:44:23
1 maillog: 24/01/2006-12:25:01(-0500): Mark Loeser types
2 > Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> said:
3 > > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > > On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:06:12 -0800 Donnie Berkholz
5 > > > <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > | Here's my proposal for dealing with modular X entering ~arch.
7 > > >
8 > > > What's wrong with the original idea of just making any unported ebuild
9 > > > pull in all of modular X (minus drivers)? Yes, it means that some
10 > > > people will pick up unnecessary deps until all packages are ported, but
11 > > > it avoids anyone having to see flashy red errors.
12 > >
13 > > The problem with that is that it removes all motivation to ever port the
14 > > packages. They'll just stay that way forever, where forever means "until
15 > > I threaten to remove that from the virtual," in which case we'll be in
16 > > the same scenario we are now. Why? Because people have better things to
17 > > do than fix stuff that isn't broken.
18 >
19 > It'd be nice if you reconsidered this as it will minimize any breakage that
20 > may occur. Knowing that >800 packages are broken, and going to unmask it
21 > knowing that just doesn't seem acceptable in my eyes. ~arch isn't meant to
22 > be "things are known to be broken." It's meant to mean, we think all of this
23 > is ready to be stable, which it certainly won't be in this case.
24
25 Don't let the numbers trick you, guys. Everything in app-xemacs/ is in
26 that list only because xemacs is broken. Fix that one package and you
27 get 115 packages done. I wonder how many others are like that.
30 \ Georgi Georgiev \ Professor: Now, be careful, Fry. And if \
31 / chutz@×××.net / you kill anyone, make sure to eat their /
32 \ http://www.gg3.net/ \ heart to gain their courage. Their rich \
33 / ------------------- / tasty courage. /